unconquerable:"Invictus"


I discovered this poem from the movie invictus,it was partially quoted by Mandela and the captain of the rugby team.it was written by William Ernest Henley. I good poem indeed.




Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul



NB:





As i researched on the poem,i found the story of the poet also fascinating. 


"At the age of 12, Henley became a victim of tuberculosis of the bone.[ A few years later the disease progressed to his foot, and physicians announced that the only way to save his life was to amputate directly below the knee. In 1867 he successfully passed the Oxford local examination as a senior student. In 1875 he wrote the "Invictus" poem from a hospital bed. Despite his disability, he survived with one foot intact and led an active life until the age of 53.
Invictus is Latin for  
unconquerable



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, your blogger link says that you have removed yout profile, yet your blog is still here.

lawrence's ride said...

hey,i was editing things and then i had a hectic time at xul..so my blog fell in disareapir..i have taken care of it now..Did u take up the job yet?

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lawrence. You mean the poetry job? Glad you are back blogging.

lawrence's ride said...

yes i meant the poetry job u were offered,as u said in one of ur earlier posting....well im back and blogging again!..its gud to be back

Post a Comment

.post { height:200px; overflow:auto; }